*CURRENTLY AT CAPACITY*
The YWCA Glendale and YWCA Pasadena have partnered this year to offer this exciting summer program emphasizing girls’ empowerment through workshops and team-building exercises, along with technology and art projects. The camp teaches life skills such as healthy relationships, nutrition, self-defense, and physical fitness. Additionally, girls prepare for the future through the camps’ diverse female guest speakers as well as learning entrepreneurship and civic engagement.
Audience: For girls entering in 6th – 9th grade in the fall of 2020 (Burbank, Glendale, Pasadena and all surrounding school districts)
Student Stipend: Students will receive a one-time $75 stipend upon completion of all activities for 1 session. Maximum of 15 student seats available per session, first come first served.
Time: 9:30AM – 3PM
6 Available Virtual Sessions:
- Session 1: June 15th – 19th (WAITLISTED)
- Session 2: June 22nd – 26th (WAITLISTED)
- Session 3: July 6th – July 10th (WAITLISTED)
- Session 4: July 13th – July 17th (WAITLISTED)
- Session 5: July 27th – July 31st (WAITLISTED)
- Session 6: August 3rd – August 7th (WAITLISTED)
By promoting assertive self-expression, teaching important life skills, and allowing the practice of leadership in a variety of setting, this unique and transformational pre-high school summer program inspires girls to reach their full potential.
Girls Empowerment through STEAM & Non-Traditional Careers
Our first priority is girls empowerment. Everything we do at camp is to make girls feel powerful! The girls have workshops in STEAM and trades/skills not often taught to young women.
Life Skills & Healthy Relationships
Growing up is more than just about academics. At Camp Rosie: Girls on the Rise, participants will learn skills that will help them become more successful, content, and balanced. Girls explore healthy relationships and bystander intervention, stress reduction techniques including yoga, journaling, and breathing exercises.
Arts & Culture
Learning about the girls’ own cultures and history as well as those of their home fosters an understanding of where they come from and how they can be more inclusive, fair, and respectful of other people. Through a variety of arts and culture activities girls will deepen their understanding.
Leadership & Civic Engagement
The knowledge we provide helps girls prepare for their future. Most importantly, they’ll learn principles of social justice and community engagement and the skills that will make them leaders in their community.
June 22nd Camp Week Overview:
YWCA Glendale and YWCA Pasadena are spending this week inspiring girls in Camp Rosie to dream big! Our girls participated in healthy relationship workshops, an ongoing writing project with Glendale Libraries, STEAM workshops including Google CS First coding, wildlife biology activities, and a Q&A with NASA JPL Instruments Engineer Janelle Wellons! Students also discussed their rights as youth, looked ahead to higher education, and created teen business plans in their path to being our community’s future leaders.
- Campers supported each other in the YWCA’s Healthy Relationships workshops and discussed topics such as overcoming gender stereotypes, defining caring relationships and signs of healthy vs. unhealthy relationships.
- Janelle: Camp Rosie got an inside look at what it means to be a woman in STEAM through a Q&A with Janelle Wellons, NASA JPL Instrument Ops Engineer. Janelle shared her personal journey to finding success and encouraged our girls to pursue their goals!
Pasadena Federal Credit Union Shout Out:
- Girls learned about teen entrepreneurship through Pasadena Federal Credit Union’s support of Camp Rosie! Campers learned about the work and tools needed to create a teen business plan and the essentials of entrepreneurship.
Glendale Library, Arts & Culture:
- Campers expressed their personal reflections and opinions about the fight for racial justice and their experiences in living through this pandemic. In partnership with Glendale Library, Arts & Culture, we continue to validate and amplify our girls’ voices!
Poetry with Katherine Kottaras:
- Girls explored their identities through writing “I Am” poems with Katherine Kottaras, author of How to Be Brave. The girls’ poems touched on the many aspects of their lives and family relationships that allowed them to express who they are.
- Camp Rosie girls were able to engage in exciting Wildlife Biology activities In partnership with Teranga Ranch, our girls were able to dissect owl pellets in a hands-on science activity.
Thank You to Our 2020 Sponsors!
National Charity League – Glendale
Pasadena Federal Credit Union
Sharon and Bill Weisman
2 Ways To Register:
Forms and Waivers
Waivers need to be download, signed and emailed to Jomie or mailed/dropped off at YWCA Glendale prior to the first day of camp.
SUPPORT CAMP ROSIE-GOTR